Thursday, March 24, 2011

My mind is drawing a blank

It's late, after midnight, and my mind is drawing a blank as to what to write. In this situation I just start writing and keep writing no matter what comes to my mind. Eventually, something meaningful will come out. I think I learned this when I was in 8th grade, my first school year in America. At the beginning of the school year, the guidance counselor, an English tutor and some other people asked me to demonstrate my knowledge of English language. This happened about two months after we arrived to America. I remember the tutor telling me that I was very close but not good enough to start the school without being tutored in English. So she started tutoring me every day for the length of the first semester.

Part of her tutoring plan was for me to write a journal entry every day. It was difficult for me to write in English those first few months. Probably the most difficult part was actually coming up with something to write about. So she told me that every time this happens, I should just start writing anything at all, just to force myself to write. She said, "Just start writing, for example, "Today is Thursday and I have nothing to write about. I will think of something to write ...", and etc. I gotta tell you, this works! Tonight I sat in front of the empty blog entry for a minute thinking of a subject for the blog. I couldn't think of anything so I wrote that "my mind is drawing a blank". Next thing you know, I have an entire blog entry in front of me. Damn tutor, she knew what she was talking about.

I'm off to bed and another hard day at work. I have to put together an important set of documents that will "help advance the man kind". Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment