Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Just the tip of the iceberg (sorry Klara!)

I promised my friend Klara I would (maybe) write about dating, speed dating in particular even though I have never done it. I guess I was going to write about my thoughts on dating but that can wait until some other time.

Just before I was about to write a post, I took a look at the Google Blogger main page, my account page. On that page there is a list of blogs I follow (which is just my father's blog) and there is a suggestion of blogs to visit at the bottom of the page. I decided to click on some of the blogs. Wow! I was blown away by the variety of types of blogs, people who write them, subjects and styles of writing, photos, templates, blogger's countries, and so many other things. I quickly realized that this was just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to exploring the world. In less than 10 blogs there was a surgeon from South Africa talking about his experiences as a surgeon, a couple of food blogs where one is health food and the other is food recipes from across the blog world, two music-related blogs, one blog from an Australian woman who is a recovering drug addict with kids, and couple of art-related blogs, one in particular that caught my attention because it had wonderful photos of Paris splattered all over it.

Just amazing! I started this blog because I just wanted to write but also hoping some of my friends would read it, and maybe, just maybe someone I don't know would find it and take an interest. However, after seeing just how many people out there write about everything, it makes me think just how minute we are in this world. No, I'm not disillusioned; this finding also makes me realize how connected we are in this day and age. Less than 30 years ago, people would have to special-order newspapers and magazines from other countries or even cities if they wanted to read somebody's daily thoughts and experiences. Now we can just type some search words into Google and find a wealth of information. We can connect with people from different backgrounds which can help us develop our own personalities and improve our own lives. All with the click of a button and some keystrokes.

I did decide to follow one of the blogs because I want to read about food recipes. I love food and I like to cook but I want to broaden my cooking repertoire. However, I do not want to get caught up in the constant lurking on the Internet. It is overwhelming and it does not lead to improvement of your life; on the contrary, I think spending too much time acquiring information on the Internet can only help stagnate your life since the information you learn can never be utilized ... because you're constantly on the computer. So I will read some blogs here and there, maybe comment here and there but I will stick to writing my own blog. Is that selfish? Maybe but I know what I want out of life and spending hours upon hours on the Internet is not what I want. Spending the summer vacation on the beach in Croatia without Internet access is what I want. Summer, when will you get here?!

Dating, next time. For now, if you can spare half an hour of your time, go visit some blogs and prepare to be amazed by what the world and people have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment