Monday, June 20, 2011

Music as I experience it



I'm back after almost two months. No excuses, just laziness.

Originally, this post was titled "Is music worth anything?". Honestly, I can't remember why I titled it this way and I can't remember what exactly was I going to write. It must have been something about how so much music is downloaded without paying for it and how it hurts the artists who are not filthy rich. Instead, I decided to write about something I said I was going to write about in one of my previous posts.

I know that I experience music differently than most people. I am not sure how many people experience the music like I do. I have met only few in my life and most of those were musicians. To put it simply, music makes me high. Whatever makes you high (including drugs), that's what music does to me. It takes me to another state of mind where my imagination runs wild. Feelings awake in me that I don't feel otherwise. If I close my eyes and let my body move to the music, I move in ways that if I completely let myself go, it can look pretty scary. I'm not talking about dancing but un-choreographed movements related to feeling the music.

I can go through a wide range of emotions during one song. It can make me feel happy, intense, angry, inspired, etc. All of the emotions can be overwhelming and exhausting. It's difficult to compare it to anything. It could be like finishing the most tiring sport match you can think of, winning or losing, depending on the song. The emotions can drain me or uplift me. The song can leave me thinking about something or, completely opposite, put me at peace.

I listen to music to release emotions, much like sports relieve stress. Just the same, I listen to music just to feel alive because allowing myself to let go while listening to a song lets me experience emotions I otherwise wouldn't. The music makes me feel alive!


My favorite song of all time, "Creep" by Stone Temple Pilots. Happy listening.

3 comments:

  1. Nice post. Can you please capture your self on video next time you let your body move to the music? Sounds really...um, interesting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, it's the first song I learned how to play on the guitar. About the video though, I don't think that is going to happen. It's too personal and Klara and you wouldn't stop making fun of me.

    ReplyDelete